Author Topic: Game Setting: Automatic Turn Expiration  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
Game Setting: Automatic Turn Expiration
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »
Game Setting: Automatic Turn Expiration

When designing games for Strategy Gamers I performed lengthy examination of common problems, annoyances, nuisances, and such that exist at other game sites.  One of the most frequent complaints I found, coming from both players and admins, was stalled games and tournaments.  The cause, in every case, is player absenteeism.  Some players join games and lose interest or get too busy to play, other new players join a site, join a bunch of games and then move on without another thought.

I address this situation in a couple of ways.  First, as most of the absenteeism is on the part of Trial accounts, I do not allow Trial accounts to join tournaments.  Second, I limit Trial accounts to one game at a time (per allowable game brand).  Third, I enforce an absentee time limit of three game turns.  If a player fails to click End Turn three times in a row, then they are out of the game.  If someone misses three turns it suggests that they do not have the time for that particular game and thus the remaining players should not have to wait, endlessly waiting for some sign that the player will return or not return.  Furthermore, the game creator can alternatively select the Force Turn option in order to decide on a turn by turn basis how long to wait for an absent player, thus extending each game turn (assuming no player immediately clicks Force the turn).

(edit) I should add that it is not true auto-expiration in that the game turn does not process when the time is up unless someone is viewing the game.  It is therefore possible that a game remains unvisited for a week while you are away for eight days yet you may miss only a single turn.  This was done in this manner because on the occasion of players, enmasse, being absent for some reason, I wanted to effectively pause the game.

Hopefully this combination of designs will promote members joining games in which they can actively participate and/or creating games with Turn Lengths (up to 72 hours) that are appropriate to their chosen degree of availability.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:25:43 AM by Peacemaker »

Offline Sir Osis of Thuliver

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
Re: Game Setting: Automatic Turn Expiration
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 07:36:34 AM »
Personally, I really like the automatic turn expiration... Saves me the stigma of having to force... I despise stalled games... If I join a game, it is because I want to play... If an emergency comes up and I can't get onto the site to make my turns, no big whoop. I shouldn't be allowed to hold up a game...

And, likewise, I also really like that the automatic turn expiration is an option. If the creator of the game doesn't want turns to automatically expire, they can create it that way...

Perfect.

Although, I can understand that it does really suck when you're in a team game and your teammate is awol...

Offline IAB

• Subscribers
  • Edited for your viewing safety.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 01:06:12 AM »
I also like the auto turn expiration (says the temporarily AWOL teammate).  But I have to get used to it, b/c I'm used to playing the same GC players who don't force (I never disappear for more than a day or two at most).  Might only join 72hr games to give myself the cushion, but I doubt I'll lack good games due to it.
Let's see if the sig block works...

Offline Sir Osis of Thuliver

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:18:48 AM »
Yeah. 72 hour games are cool that way... Long enough turns that most everyone can make their moves, and if everyone gets on and makes their moves prior to 72 hours, the game still moves along.

Offline New Dawn

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 07:48:06 AM »
I can accept your arguments for auto expiration even if I don't like it personally. I don't mind if a game moves forward slowly. If a game takes too long time due to absence someone of the remaining will start forcing in the end.

However, one thing this auto expiration won't cure is the situation that occurs sometimes in small gc tournaments were both player is absent and the games stall due to that. But it might help if only 'enlisted' players are allowed to play tournaments.

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:51 AM »
It sounds like you would prefer to use the Force Turn option.  That's why I created two options, Auto for those who wish games to move along at a regular pace, and Force for those who care less about expediting their games.  To each is own.

Re: tournaments, I thought of that too.  There is a routine that will force games to expire on the selected duration, at which time replacements will be automatically selected or at admin option, replacements inserted.  Also, tournaments are only available to subscribers although I have an option for the occasional trial tournament for promotional purposes.