Author Topic: no actions after end turn?  (Read 8931 times)

Offline bdstrange

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
no actions after end turn?
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:42:56 AM »
am i wrong or can you not do anything once you hit end turn? i'm chronic with rethinking moves and i rather like option of redoing things like attacks or troop placement. it's possible that i missed it in how to play or forums.

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
Re: no actions after end turn?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »
You are correct.  Once you click End Turn, that's it, no more actions that turn.  I'll edit the guide to state that clearly.  Thanks

Offline bdstrange

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
sooo lets say you miss a few turns and your turns are ending automaticaly. are you saying there is nothing you can do but forfeit?
also i noticed 1min. turns are not an option. myself and many of the "old timers" from the other site cut our teeth in quickies. i think no 1 min. turns and no actions after end turn will deter ppl. from quickies.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:10:21 PM by bdstrange »

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 06:21:57 AM »
The question is why is a player missing turns in a game in which they chose to participate?  If you miss three consecutive turns, you are out of the game, automatically forfeit.  This serves to handle languishing games, a huge annoyance on other sites.  With a 72 hour turn option and a Force turn option, there really is no excuse for not playing a turn.  Members should be conscious of their play availability and join games that work for their schedule.  Incidentally, I am considering a weekend pause option which would basically extend a turn from Friday to Monday.  The only reason I've found that players purposefully don't end their turn is to fool opponents into thinking they are absent.  I consider that a lame tactic, not truly skill oriented, and I'm attempting to root-out that style of play.  The mechanics are designed to support the active members and promote good sportsmanship.

No actions after Ending Turn is no different in practicality than not ending turn until moments before the turn expires.  At some point you will have decided your actions.  But Ending Turn forces players to actively participate, as stated above, rather than be the source of disruption and delay for games.  Rarely was there a game I played at other sites where at least one player went missing without explanation and, inevitably, remaining players grumbled and debated forcing the turn.  I programmed in the options to remove as much unwanted game rigamarole as possible (longer turn lengths, options to force or auto).  I believe the combination of features and functions makes for a more active community.

I can add 1 minute turn lengths.  I left it out because it seemed to me that, in my experience, if you are playing rapid fire then turn lengths are irrelevant as you will likely end your turn earlier.  Thus the real turn clock is when the last player clicks end turn.  But I can add it to test if my much more involved site can handle the speed.

I'm open to discussing any of the features and mechanics at length.  We can even schedule a chat in sgamers own chat room for everyone (but note I do not type quickly).  I do believe that the immense amount of time I have put into designing this site takes into account a wealth of interests from around the gaming community, focused primarily on creating a strategy game site where players want to be and are active, and the structure diminishes all the negative aspects that are rampant around the numerous other, so-called strategy gaming game sites.  I have not found another site, nor heard of one, that in any way approaches the features that Strategy Gamers offers, most importantly, including those functions that keep the undesirables from detracting from the enjoyment of everyone else (by causing delays, manipulating scores and ranks, spamming and hassling other players in others' game chat, etc).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:25:16 AM by Peacemaker »

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:26:22 PM »
ill make this as short as possible, peace i think your wrong, well atleast to strange\s theory.. my computer is a laptop and i just ended my turn using the mouse pad, when i clicked endturn the page didnt refresh so i clicked it again (facepalm) and it ended my turn and it ended my turn of the next round, its a shame i dont have a feature to go back and place any armies or make a move( or play at all )
Logic > Strategy

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:02:57 AM »
What you experienced was ending your current turn, then you ended the next turn prior to allowing the previous turn to finish processing and display the results.  You were obviously the last player to make your moves, so it processed the actions when you clicked end turn.  You didn't wait, probably not noticing that the page was processing (usually seen in the bottom left of browsers), and thus you actually ended turn for the new turn.  I've seen this happen, particularly on games with lots of actions and especially those with large maps.  Five seconds in the longest delay I've recorded on turn processing.

I should add a note about this in the game guide.

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:35:08 PM »
there was no delay, my computer just sucks, it froze kinda
Logic > Strategy

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:46:26 AM »
I'll look into having some sort of message that appears while processing.

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »
ok, i will just say dam peace every time it happens k, no need for a message telling me i screwed up
Logic > Strategy

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »
I mean some sort of center screen message that says something to the effect of "The turn is processing, please wait" or "The turn is processing, take off your pants and relax".

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 04:46:01 AM »
sure but it still doesnt help if u use the f5 key all the time, which is my main button.. well that and f11
Logic > Strategy

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 03:27:21 AM »
The poor man has only two working keys on his keyboard.  No wonder all of your messages seem a bit cryptic and or crazy.

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 04:34:17 AM »
wow u took it literally.... i mean i use them alot not my only keys... f5 = refresh and f11 = disapearing toolbars
Logic > Strategy