Author Topic: New Dawn goes literary!  (Read 31323 times)

Offline New Dawn

• Subscribers
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
    • View Profile
Re: New Dawn goes literary!
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04:30 AM »
Btw, I'm reading David Copperfield right now. I'm close to the end of one of the thicker/longer books I've read/listened to (close to 40 hours listening time)

Offline Sir Osis of Thuliver

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2014, 04:27:24 AM »
Steppenwolf and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest are favorites of mine... Fahrenheit 451 is pretty great too.

And, Michael Crichton may have lost his way later on, but Andromeda Strain was a damn good thriller.

Offline New Dawn

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 32.0 Firefox 32.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2014, 07:45:39 AM »
I did really enjoy One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I could see Jack Nicholson in front of me when I heard Randle McMurphy speak in the book. And this in spite of me never having seen the movie...

Steppenwolf didn't touch me in anyway but I think Fahrenheit 451 - as well as 1948 by Orwell - should be a mandatory read for all people for to prevent totalitarian states in the future.

In contrast to you I actually preferred Jurassic Park before Andromeda Strain - both the book as well as the movie.

Offline cugel the clever

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2014, 08:21:22 PM »
New Dawn; I see from an earlier post that you read Enders Game..... did you see the movie?  What did you think about it?  I enjoyed it but didn't think it was as good as the book.  Suffered from the problem common to many film adaptations..... too much had to be removed from the story in order to fit into a 2-hour film.  But on the positive side; I did like the performance of the young actor portraying Ender.... he was much as I visualized Ender Wiggin when I read the book.

Offline New Dawn

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 33.0 Firefox 33.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2014, 07:18:55 AM »
I haven't seen the movie (yet). I have been interested in seeing it but I didn't have the opportunity to see it when it was running at the cinemas. I have heard Orson Scott Card's own comment about how he had been struggling with different movie companies over the years about an adaptation. He had to fight so they didn't made the protagonist older and turned the story into a 'love story in space'. But he was looking forward (then) to the coming adaptation. And I aim to see it myself someday.