Offline New Dawn

• Subscribers
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 16.0 Firefox 16.0
    • View Profile
Sandy
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »
I heard in the news about this tropical storm Sandy that is threatening the North East. How is the news around you? I believe it can come quite close to you, Peace?

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
I checked a little while ago.  Pretty much heading straight for us but likely just a lot of rain and sustained winds for about a day.  The power companies have already called (robo-call) to indicate a likelihood of power outages.  Stock up on beef jerky.

Incidentally. I never did follow-up on your question from the old forum.

How much were you affected by the quake/Irene?

The quake did shake our house being only 120 miles form the epicenter.  In the first few seconds I ran through all of the other possibilities of what it could be, heavy trucks, nearby chemical explosion, but as it continued it became pretty clear.  Furniture swayed in the room, I heard a few objects fall elsewhere.  I moved my 5 year old into the doorway and grabbed my little girl from my bed where she was napping.  After another ten seconds in the doorway (now about 20 or so total) it began to subside and I made a dash for the first floor and outside.  As there were many neighbors outside and people from the business park across the street, there was no question that I was not the only one who felt it.  I kept the children outside for quite a while until it was clear that no immediate danger was in the home.  We had only a few cracks in the walls and one broken item which I do not recall.  Small aftershocks hit three or four times over the next few days.

The hurricane hit with heavy rain and wind, the house being pelted with minor debris.  The ground was soggy but I do not recall much else of note.  The storms this past summer have been fairly violent.

I've been thinking about purchasing one of these.  http://www.amazon.com/GoalZero-Generator-Kit-1250-boulder30-carrying/dp/B007Q27WEM/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1351327839&sr=1-2&keywords=goal+zero1250

Thanks for asking.

Offline New Dawn

• Subscribers
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 17.0 Firefox 17.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »
ok. I forgot I had asked that question. Which year did that happen?

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
That was a year ago, the hurriquake.

http://globalcombat.8.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2487

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:38:08 AM »
Here it comes.

... Later the next day. 

It was very rainy, windy and some powerful freight train gusts.  It appears that once it came on shore for a while, the powerful center shrank, drawing up north and skirting past my region by about ten to twenty miles.  Philadelphia seems to have been the anchor after that.  With most of our trees already nearly bare, there was not much for the wind to take advantage of and blow down. 

We went for a family walk today to assess the damage.  Lots of wetness and flooded river and stream banks.  Soggy yard.

The most important thing to note is that I made a sandwich and it was tasty.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:59:31 PM by Peacemaker »