Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: Beyonce and 'Lip-sync-gate'
« Last post by Sir Osis of Thuliver on January 29, 2013, 03:42:32 AM »
I'm proud to say I have no idea what you're talking about.

But then again, I've given up on even paying attention to "important" issues.
General Discussion / Beyonce and 'Lip-sync-gate'
« Last post by New Dawn on January 26, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
It's very encuraging that so many of you americans concentrate on the important questions in these troublesome times...
General Discussion / Re: There is hope for you americans too now
« Last post by Peacemaker on January 18, 2013, 03:09:11 AM »
...and donuts.   Mmm, donuts.
« Last post by Sir Osis of Thuliver on January 10, 2013, 07:07:42 AM »
And while we're at it, I would like it to rain strawberry lemonade.
« Last post by Peacemaker on January 09, 2013, 09:08:20 PM »
Read it.  Signed it.  Tweeted it.

Beyond the obvious applications for all things science and research involving collaboration between the USA and metric using countries, wherein there have been disastrous and costly problems due to conversion issues, the economic implications for such a move, at least in the short term, are immense.

An enormous number of home appliances, tools, gadgets galore would be converted, which means bazillions of dollars in domestic purchasing/sales.  There would not likely be another such significant boost to retail in our lifetime, even if only lasting a few years.

After that we can convert the silly English language to a phonetic one.  If we want our children to learn let's give them a language they can learn to read and write at age three.
General Discussion / There is hope for you americans too now
« Last post by New Dawn on January 07, 2013, 02:46:16 PM »
Please sign this petition and share it by your comrades:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-metric-system-standard-united-states-instead-imperial-system/FndsKXLh

Then it might be decent folks out of you too... :-)
Heh, yeah, I had actually put something in my post about how NYE is really no more of an event that the 11/11/11, 12/12/12 nonsense.
General Discussion / Re: So How is you christmas 'competition' going SOoT?
« Last post by Peacemaker on January 05, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »
I'm grateful that we don't have to hear another year of numerology drivel such as 11.11.2011, 12.12.12.  However I would not be surprised if a story pops up about a secret 13th month to enable people to claim a 13/13/13.

New Year's is an excuse to party at night and be lazy the next day.  That's not such a bad thing.  Unless of course you are the 10 year old girl in my state that died from a bullet some nearby idiot fired into the air as his way of celebrating.
Yeah, but Auld Lang Syne ain't even about New Year's... New Year's songs are more about feel than any explicit tie to the holiday... Celebration for celebration's sake because, let's face it, as holiday's go, the New Year's holiday is based on even less tangible stuff (really, it's the celebration of having to buy a new calendar) than any of the others - even the ones that are based on complete fiction.

That said, that REM song is a perfect example of celebration for celebration's sake (with a touch of the dark side thrown in there, because, you know, one day/calendar purchase closer to the grave and all that), and while I'd rather shove a pistol down my gullet than purposely listen to that Wang Chung song ever again, that hits the spot for NYEs' songs.

My personal fave NYE song is the Grateful Dead's Sugar Magnolia, simply because for so many years it was the traditional GD NYE song. And, really, it has about as much to do as the meaningless change of numbers on a clock or a calendar as Auld Lang Syne does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQ1D7EpTjI
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]