Author Topic: Show indicator of games not allowed to join?  (Read 6665 times)

Offline SlugReborn

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
    • ThatJimGuy
Show indicator of games not allowed to join?
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:18:29 PM »
Some games have a min or max rating. It would be nice to see an X icon or something next to games that you (the player) cannot join due to the requirements. Currently, one has to click on the game and look to see if there are rating requirements, or just try to join and get refused. Kinda like the key icon for private (password) games?
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." - Douglas Adams

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
Re: Show indicator of games not allowed to join?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:04:47 AM »
That was in my original design, "Show only games for which I qualify".  The problem with that is a vast amount of processing that is required to check five different parameters against every listed open game, every time you visit the page.  I also tried fitting in more fields to aid seeing the requirements, but that too became unwieldy (real-estate wise).  Therefore I wanted to try-out having members  see the game requirements when clicking on an interesting looking open game listing, and having familiarity with their own parameters record, membership length, etc).

If I move the function to a server side check then perhaps it would be fast enough to handle this at high volume.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:19:33 AM by Peacemaker »

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »
maybe it could show the level required on the game tab before joining it or replace the turnclock for games that are not joined
Logic > Strategy

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:23:58 PM »
All of the game participation requirements are displayed on the Gamestatus page.

Offline SlugReborn

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
    • ThatJimGuy
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
How about just list in the Open Games list the min rating or whatever? This would take no more processing time, just another published fields in the open games list (yes, real estate, but you've got some extra space in some of the columns that you could shrink..) Just a thought :-)
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." - Douglas Adams

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 05:32:03 AM »
PARTICIPATION OPTIONS
Invitation Only
Subscribers Only
Min. Player Rating
Max. Player Rating
Min. Games Played
Min. Membership

Invitation is displayed as a key on the mygames page.  On my display 1280 x 960, there is room for perhaps one or two more columns.  But which of the five to display?  An abbeviated format could be used but members would have to learn the nomenclature.  For example, I could use Rating and display ###/###, for min/max rating.  Some icon to indicate Subscriber.

Note I put quite a bit of thought into this and ultimately decided to put forth what you now see and then await for public reaction to modify if needed/as desired by the membership.  

Offline SlugReborn

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
    • ThatJimGuy
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »
Yeah, that would be too much.  :-\