Author Topic: Hex Maps  (Read 15750 times)

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
Hex Maps
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:25:17 AM »
I'd appreciate feedback on the Hex game maps.  The World map has been used quite regularly, so on top of previous comments made in chat areas, please feel to add your opinions here.  I'm, of course, willing to consider modifications, such as the value of regions.

I'd particularly appreciate feedback o the Halloween map.  I'll go first.  It is better than I expected.  It seems very balanced and challenging while leaving a sizable variety of play options.

Thanks

Offline seaellem

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
Re: Hex Maps
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
i think i shied away from the hex maps due to my own confusion with some of them and also due to the former sluggishness of the site, which is definitely resolved.

i like the old comfortable map.  the halloween map is a good idea.  if i win, then it's a good map.  *grin*

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
LOL, all of them are Hex maps.  Thanks C

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »
I like the elevator level, nice touch, Keep up the creations!!
Logic > Strategy

Offline seaellem

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »
LOL, all of them are Hex maps.  Thanks C

errr... yeah, right.  i meant "other hex maps" as compared to the world map.

"i may not be a smart man, but i know what love is."

Offline seaellem

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »
looking for a christmas....err... "winter holiday" theme?

saw this on lifehacker with a round-up of wallpaper and WANTED TO PLAY THIS MAP!!!

http://lifehacker.com/5412754/wallpaper-roundup-abstract-ice-and-snowy-scenes/gallery/3

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »
That is very similar to the Snowflake map I am about to release.  If that is not a proprietary design for some other game systems, I will be happy to make that map for your enjoyment.

If there is specifc map or map concept you like and would like to see on Strategy Gamers, please feel free to provide a link or other details for me to review it.  I have a long list of maps that I intend to include on my site, for various game brands and I'm open to any suggestions.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:53:51 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »
i like the amount of big maps we have ;) with the original 1 armies per 3 spaces makes it easier to manuver threw big levels
    Code: [Select]
    123abc
    Logic > Strategy

Offline SlugReborn

• Subscribers
      • View Profile
      • ThatJimGuy
    « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
    I like the maps. Other than a placement issue in a 1v1 game (opponent got placed like 2 hexes away from me but in a small "continent" so there was no way 4 me 2 win) I like the site and the maps :-)
    "The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." - Douglas Adams

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:11:43 AM »
    it was odd because there were 95 % neutral, i guess with those options the game can be pure luck
    Logic > Strategy

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
      • View Profile
    Re: Hex Maps - Snowflake/World
    « Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
    We've got several Snowflake maps active in games now, none completed yet.  Please share your thoughts on map balance, region bonuses etc. 

Also, we've played quite a few World map games.  It is time to consider adjusting the region bonuses.  Input?

Offline Sir Osis of Thuliver

• Subscribers
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 12:56:58 AM »
    On the snowflake map, I made a comment elsewhere that I thought the region rewards might be a little too high. The center ring, while I understand the value of it and the difficulty of holding it, is only 6 territories, but awards 9 armies (although I understand that each territory there is vulnerable)... While I think that region should be higher than the rest, I think it is a bit too high... I think the spires are too high as well, maybe knocking those down to 2 armies rewards would be more reasonable...

Anyone else agree with that?

I don't have an active World map game going, so I can't see the map and region awards (is there another way to see the map Peace?), but I seem to remember that I think the Europe reward should be kicked up by 1.

All in all, I find that I really like the World, Snowflake, Halloween and Saskatoon maps, all different and unique challenges... I'm starting to play around with the starting options a little more and find there are a ton of way to make really interesting games, and I am digging the handful of random map games we've had lately.

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 02:35:13 AM »
    To see completed games for any player, visit their(your) Gaming Profile (star icon top right), select the game brand from the drop down, and click the link (bottom center) for Completed Games Record.  Select a game you wish to view, then use the Game Review link to see the map.  You can scroll through the game turns to learn from your mistakes.

In the future I'll have the Map Guide available for referencing map workings.

Having been in the middle of the snowflake multiple times, I can vouch for the difficulty of holding it.  I assigned it 9 because it can be attacked from what is essentially 6 other regions.  This is in part hearing your (SOoT) earlier point about making Europe higher in value.  As players typically migrate to regions, the regions eseentially become synonymous with the players, thus it makes sense to assign a higher value to regions adjoining more regions.   However, and this may what you are getting at with respect to Snowflake, if the bonuses are too high, it can create an imbalance.  I was considering raising the middle to 10 but perhaps lowering the others makes more sense.  I am thinking center 7, the outer six 5, and the spires remain at 2.  This equates to a bonus armies formula of 1 per 4 areas plus 1 per adjoining region.  I know that there should be room for non-formulaic design, but it is nice to have formulas.

I may also modify the region bonus structure for Random maps to something along the lines of this formula.  Initially, it was too complex to calculate something like this for a randomly generated map.
    « Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 02:50:22 AM by Peacemaker »

Offline Sir Osis of Thuliver

• Subscribers
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 04:48:38 AM »
    Yeah, I do think the middle should be more than the other regions, but maybe all of the regions (possibly not the middle) could stand to get knocked down an army or two...

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 12:41:14 AM »
     ;D i say the bigger the better, but thats just me,  an equation/formula could be perfect, 1/2A +B
    half the land of a region + the number of bordering spaces, aka for europe 3.5 + 6, something like that, a failure idea but , could maybe be improved on, all factors must be undertaken when choosing a region value, i hope i helped
    Logic > Strategy