Author Topic: Feature Idea - Game Turn Limit  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
Feature Idea - Game Turn Limit
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
Feature Idea - Game Turn Limit

One of the many things I strive for at Strategy Gamers is to encourage active play.  I find that games that linger may sometimes diminish the enjoyment.  I've seen games last years.  Therefore, in addition to already in-place features along these lines, I am considering adding a new feature used to limit how long a game may last.  This would allow game creators to use the default option of unlimited number of game turns, or set a limit from a reasonable selection such as 10, 20, 30,..100 game turns.  I included the lower numbers (10-30) because this may be very useful for tournament games.  Most games do tend to last around 15-25 turns for smaller sized games, and double that for larger games (5 > players).  A limit does a couple of things.  It affects game play style as the limit forces different strategies in order to effectively "win" within a time frame.  Two, it reminds players that each turn is important and deserves attention.

Declaring a winner.  Any player already out of the game would maintain their placement.  A means to determine winner/placement of the remaining players is needed.  Counting map areas would seem the straight forward method given the goal is to control the entire map.  Perhaps taking region bonuses and standing armies into account may also be worth exploring.  I'm open to suggestions and feedback on this game option's design.

Offline Sir Osis of Thuliver

• Subscribers
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Idea - Game Turn Limit
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
I would guess that areas would be the best bet for determining a winner... Or maybe the player receiving the most reinforcements (which would be a combination of owning the most areas, plus whatever regions they own too)...

Either way, good idea.

Also of note is that some maps produce longer games, specifically those maps with either more areas or no region bonuses... Like that Halloween map can take forever.

Offline WarrenG

• Subscribers
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:22:21 AM »
this is a good idea because some games result in stalemates
Logic > Strategy

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 4.0.1 Firefox 4.0.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
I decided to set the following order of precedence.  When there is a tie at one level, the next comparison is made.  If there is a tie in all three comparisons, then an additional round is played.  I'll put this in the How To guide.  I do not count banked armies or defeat bonus as they do not necessarily convey a player's dominant position in the game.

1) Reinforcements (Areabonus + Regionbonus)
2) Areas
3) Regionbonus

Offline New Dawn

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 6.0 Firefox 6.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »
I like this idea. Especially for tournaments as they can get stretched out for a long time otherwise. I participate in many long games myself and even if I enjoy it mort of the time it can get boring. So I'm up for it.

My preference would be that Areas should be first in order of precedence and then reinforcements (even including DOB if applicable). In there's still a tie then it would be armies on the map.

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 4.0.1 Firefox 4.0.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »
By using the bonuses from areas and regions we are effectively counting areas and the value of those areas if they include a specific set (an entire region).  In the unlikely event that there is a tie in value of property then we simply count property.  Third, we finally look at the value of regions alone.

This approach effectively looks to the greatest overall value of held areas, then the total areas, then the most valuable subset of areas.

I believe it captures the essence of the game, obtain all of the areas and grab entire regions while doing so.

The feature has been live for some time by the way.  Fourth option down, Max Turns.

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 6.0.1 Firefox 6.0.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 05:57:39 AM »
UPDATE:

Max Turns: Sets the limit on how many turns the game may be played until the game ends automatically and a winner is determined.  The order of precedence for declaring a winner is 1) highest armies balance (area bonus + region bonus),  2) Occupying the Most Areas, 3) Region Bonus.  If two or more players tie, then one additional game turn is played with those top placing players. The process repeats until a single player or tam is declared the winner.