Author Topic: Copy of GC board?  (Read 6491 times)

Offline cugel the clever

• Subscribers
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
Copy of GC board?
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:43:04 PM »
osis of thuliver... whas was your GC name?
what is your basis for saying that "cugel is not big at putting in minimum effort"? one post on this game forum?

interesting that because i have critcisms of this game site and still prefer the map and the simplicity of GC, that someone`s first response to issue a personal attack. i guess some things from GC never change.

here are some of the reasons i don`t play here. if you want to attack me personally instead of actually considering my comments, then have fun

1. no map-like game board. part of the fun of GC is to relate the game spaces to geography.

2. poor user interface a useability. for example, this damn shout box refreshes seemingly at random and wipes out my posts in mid-statement

3. too complex. i prefer the simpler rules and cleaner interface of GC. more complex isn`t always better. look how long checkers and backgammon have been around

4. instability. others here may disagree, but many times when i came here there have been broken links or funcitons that simply didnt work.

bottom line is that i have limited time to play games

and i still prefer the gameplay of GC

if that offends people here, i`m sorry. i do appreciate peace`s efforts to buiold this site, but thats not enough of a reason for me to spend a lot of time here when i dont enjoy the game here

osis will be certain to attack me for this, but why not create a copy of the GC game board and playing rules?  i agree with another poster who said something along the lines of the community is as important (or more) than the game.  i would love to be over here more frequently because a lot of the people i knew and respect from GC are here.  but if i don't like the games, then realistically i won't spend time here because it would simply become a message board forum for me.

if there was a game here very similar to GC, then i (and others like 4mor) would probably spend a lot of time playing here and participating in the forums.

and its not true that i didnt give the game a chance - i joined and played a game here quite some time ago and spent a fair amount of time checking-in to see who was online because i prefer 1-minute games.  one of the problems here is that there dont seem to be many people who hang around to play 1min games.

i've joined an open game and will gladly give it another try (or a few more trys), but the big things for me are:
1. i prefer a simpler game with a geographically-based game board and gameplay rules similar to GC
2. i prefer 1minute games.  while writing this post, i've been online at sgamers for over half an hour and i am the ONLY person online.  at this moment, there are 14 people online at GC and it is still possible (albeit more difficult than in the old days) to get 1min games.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:28:39 AM by Peacemaker »

Offline Sir Osis of Thuliver

• Subscribers
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 6.0 Firefox 6.0
    • View Profile
Re: Copy of GC board?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
Um, there is a version of a map game.

Sorry, is that an "attack"?

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 4.0.1 Firefox 4.0.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:54:01 AM »
Cugel,

I understand the desire for a world map motif.  That will come with the Terra Firma game, which hopefully will be released no longer than the end of the year.  While I know that I don't need to explain, I do appreciate those people who have hung in there as the membership has grown slowly.  The reality is that I have two small children that I am raising while maintaining a 60 hour/wk job, had a arbitration dispute with a bad contractor earlier in the year that took several months (at least) of my life and a little of my spirit, I got caught up in a move in May/June (I'm still not done unpacking), and, consequently, I have had limited time to design, beta test, and debug the game, particularly over the past year. 

Because of this reality I am even more grateful to the small cast of faithful members who do engage the games/site and participate as much as any other working person can.  It's a great group and I would not trade it for 10x the number of standard GC players.

Again, while there are two map-like game boards, there will be what you are looking for in Terra Firma.  I wouldn't copy GC's map as I respect Bryan's property and I'm capable of creating my own maps.  Although, it is simply another version of the traditional Risk map.  I have ten maps already in the works for Terra Firma.

As for stability and usability, the site is very stable, more so than I experienced at GC or many other sites.  The number of code bugs is remarkably small given the large code base, number of pages involved, and time the game has been up.  In short, it is a solid game.  The game interface has slightly more complexity because SG offers more than GC and, in fact, more than any other site that I've encountered.  That is intentional.  You can't be the best if you simply copy everyone else.  I have fine tuned some interface elements in response to member suggestions.  I always listen and I hear you too.

You and 4MOR do exaggerate a bit in your criticisms, but my experience is that you guys have always been dramatic.  I find no offense.  If this site is not for you for whatever reason - small learning curve, number of current members, type of map currently available - I understand.  Enjoy gaming wherever you wish to play.  It's supposed to be fun.

I'll announce when Terra Firma is live.  Chess will be tested live within a couple of weeks I hope. 

Thank you,
Peace

Offline cugel the clever

• Subscribers
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 02:34:28 AM »
peace - thank you.  i certainly see and appreciate the amount of work you've put into this site.

osis - no, there isn't a geographic motif map in sgamers and your comment "cugel is not good at putting in minimal effort" is a judgmental extrapolation based on superficial knowledge about me.  you sound like a republican.

Offline Sir Osis of Thuliver

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:04:39 AM »
LOL. I dunno, a map based on the globe, with territories like Alaska, Middle East and Madagascar and regions like North America, Australia and Asia, sure seems at least marginally geographic, no?

And the "cugel is not good at putting in minimal effort" was meant to be a joke of some kind, based somewhat on the superficial knowledge I have of you tending to complain, fly off the handle and regularly announce that you are quitting either the game or the forum, as you have done in the past on more than a couple of occasions. Wasn't meant to be an attack of any kind, but a mere nudge to the ribs of someone with whom I've always been friendly over the past ten years or so, who had been acting like a heel...

Offline New Dawn

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:36:54 AM »
First I like to say 'Welcome back cugel. I hope we meet in a game soon'. But as I like 72hour games and you 1min games I believe there won't be too many of them.

I understand your critic of the game and agree to some point, like the World Map not being very much like a real world map but I think Peace has commented well on that. The shout box can be felt too small too.

Regarding complexity I would like the possibility to easily see options that are not 'normal'. As it is now it is a bit awkward to check options for every different game when I don't remember the options. It can some times be crucial to know the 'odd' settings of a game.

Peace: What about the possibility to (in some way) 'post-it' some selected options so they could always be seen on the same time as the map?

Offline Peacemaker

• Subscribers
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 4.0.1 Firefox 4.0.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 07:55:29 AM »
New Dawn,

That's something I've been thinking about lately, so its clearly not only me.  I'm thinking of something that would clearly mark or highlight mark non-default settings.   I'll see what there is for space on the game board. 

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. :)